Thread: Feeling
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2012, 07:59 AM   #33
Carl Thompson

Japan
Re: Feeling

Thank you to both Graham and Matthew.

If you bear in mind that I made this caveat at the beginning...
Quote:
Carl Thompson wrote: View Post
I apologise that a few strictly "yes" or "no" answers are required but in common with many surveys, I'll leave a space at the end for extra comments. If you have to skip a question because you can't answer "yes" or "no" you can explain why there.
... I hope you don't mind if I shift the explanations of the requested "strictly yes or no" parts of both of your surveys to the end. It is a slight reformatting to match my original criteria that still keeps your explanations for why you chose yes/no. They are just separate for clarity.

So as long as you're okay with it, I'll take the following as your positions:
Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
Short "In Thread" Survey:

Q1: Do you believe it when people associated with the I.P. (Internal Power) and "Aiki" phenomenon on this forum claim "it has to be felt" (IHTBF) in order to understand it?
Yes

Q2: Can you prove one way or the other if they are right or wrong about their claim that IHTBF?
Yes

Q3: Regardless of your answer to the previous question, please indicate how you can prove IHTBF right or wrong one way or the other: (select any that apply in order of preference -- delete any that do not apply)
  • Direct hands on training (feeling)
  • Indirect training (e.g.:training with someone who has trained directly with them)

Q5. Do you have any other comments?

Indirect training can prove it has to be felt, but I presume whatever they're developing is less developed than who ever they're training with, so the proof is less pronounced.

Explanations (moved from the yes/no fields to match the survey format)

Regarding Q1: ...but I want to qualify that I believe "IHTBF" in order to have a functional understanding...amazing flukes of genius notwithstanding.
Thank you very much Matthew, especially for your comment in Q5.

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
Short "In Thread" Survey:

Q1: Do you believe it when people associated with the I.P. (Internal Power) and "Aiki" phenomenon on this forum claim "it has to be felt" (IHTBF) in order to understand it?
Yes

Q2: Can you prove one way or the other if they are right or wrong about their claim that IHTBF?
No

Q3: Regardless of your answer to the previous question, please indicate how you can prove IHTBF right or wrong one way or the other: (select any that apply in order of preference -- delete any that do not apply)
(this question only applies if you wrote "yes" to Q2 anyway, so no worries re: not answering. My bad)

Q4 (For Graham Only): Does the "recent phenomena" you initially described as being "standard to my aikido from day one" refer to the same phenomenon that Dan Harden and others described?
No

Q5. Do you have any other comments?

Yes. Know your own path and accept no substitutes. When you know what yours is then it's easy to see what isn't. No need then to be right, wrong or prove.

Explanations (moved from the yes/no fields to match the survey format):

Regarding Q1: They claim, they believe. They needed to obviously.
Regarding Q2: I prove nothing. They do it. They found for them it had to be felt so they are obviously right.
Regarding Q3: Not into proving or right or wrong. So no.
Regarding Q4: It refers to the phenomenon.
Thank you Graham! This kind of clarification is what I was asking for at the start. It helps me understand what you were saying at the start of this thread. I hope it has helped clear up a few things for you and others reading the thread too.

Carl