View Single Post
Old 07-10-2003, 01:44 AM   #1
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: c412c2bf
Anonymous User
Ego vs Compliments

i recently received quite a glowing compliment from a visitor (a higher ranking dan grade) and although excited and proud of the words that he spoke, i can't help but feel undeserving, or perhaps moreso, i just don't know how to have taken the comment.

i was asked, quietly and to the side of the mat, how long i had been training and the visiting sensei seemed surprised at my response, he then told me that from what he had seen, he would've ranked me as green belt. i thanked him for his kind words and left it as that.

i looked into the organisation that he belonged to, and of their grading syllabus, and their green belt is in fact, 3rd kyu. a rank i would be undeserving of for circa a year and a half, to two years in my current dojo.

by no means do i have any plans to leave my current dojo, etc. but as stated, i am excited and proud at being complimented in such a way. a few close aikidoka friends of mine know as they asked why i was looking so shocked, but my query is this;

to tell my sensei or to not? and if so, how to actually discuss these things with not only himself, but anyone, without seeming egotistical. if an inherent trait of aikido could/would/should be dispelling ego and promoting humility, what is the correct manner for dealing with compliments and turning them into constructive training criticisms, as opposed to simple praise and the resulting pride.

thanks.