View Single Post
Old 02-14-2007, 10:23 PM   #567
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: Baseline skillset

Quote:
Dennis Hooker wrote:
I am old and slow and even my blade moves faster than the eye can track, but taking a live blade from the hands of those of my ilk would be more of a task than these could accomplish, let alone my betters. We have some real con men and women out there and many are actually deceiving themselves assisted by culpable and vulnerable students....There are those that have never tested themselves and some that have fell short of their expectations and for the most part blame the person they ask to help them test their skills. I have seen high ranking individuals abuse their students because the student was true to the attack and won. My partners get congratulation for such a thing.
That's where the old padded sword comes in very handy. Mochizuki Sensei made them out of pvc pipe (about 1/2" diameter) covered with pipe insulation foam and wrapped in duct tape. The attacker could really attack with true spirit and the defender would get the true message and know he'd gotten it. Nothing puts an end to self-deception like a good whack from a good padded sword.

Best to you.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com