View Single Post
Old 09-01-2009, 06:29 AM   #25
DonMagee
United_States
Re: Bill would give president emergency control of Internet

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
But I thought that is why we had the whole balance of powers thing and the right to bear arms?

The assumption is that the government is GAINING power. I don't think this is true. They already HAVE the power, the bill admits that the government has the power and outlines the methodology for using it.

Don't necessarily like it either, but the fact remains that it exisit and I don't think I'd be comfortable on the flip side of us giving it up either, that thought is horrifiying as well, especially if terrorist groups can shut down our infrastructure.

I think our political system and economic system should be able to keep any abuses in check.

Kinda like the case of Wikipedia choosing to suppress news stories on the whole David Rohde kidnapping deal. DId they do the right thing or the wrong thing? Wikidpedia retains the ability to censor, however, it is not in their best interest to do so, and if they do, then they risk losing the trust of the public. However, is it ethical to interfere for something like David Rohde?

I think the issue is complex and not that easy to solve or mitigate.
Tell ya what,

If the government will promise to stop attacking the 2nd amendment, and on top of that, get rid of all the import restrictions on automatic weapons / allow me to own weapons that may actually allow the people to revolt if it became necessary, then I'll stop complaining when the try to steal every little bit of power.

So when I can walk into my local gun shop and walk out with a m249 or hell even a recently built mp5 without paying a huge federal tax I'll shut the hell up.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein