View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 04:20 AM   #5
Lee Salzman
Re: Two centers making a connection or one- in a bujutsu body?

Quote:
Gregory Gargiso wrote: View Post
So you know,..... the next question to be asked (i know too wordy to be answered online) but how is the problem of ukemi to reconciled?

I just got corrected about this today(not giving my center up to the four legged animal) and I am not trying to be a Budo D@#k.

Great as usual food for thought.
G
My ultimate solution to this for myself was a non-solution-solution: train somewhere else. At the end of the day I decided I didn't want to train my body to go-along-to-get-along, and that ultimately that was more important to me than the organization I was training with. If your training partners are honest, they shouldn't want you to take a fall just for the sake of them feeling good about their technique - their center is either developed enough that it caused you to fall, or it is not. Success is expected way too easily in most aikido dojos - it is stupidly hard for me to throw someone using my center, and so, I'd be happy to get 1 success out of 10 on a good day, so why should I really expect that my uke takes a dive for me every time? And if my uke is developing too, it doesn't get easier as I get better - because my uke is getting better too! What do I learn the other way? I need to know when I am really failing and really succeeding.