Thread: New to Aikido
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2011, 02:05 PM   #17
BJohnston
United_States
Re: New to Aikido

The reason that I began training Aikido is due to a very dear friend of mine's recommendation. He too was an mma guy. Maybe the exception to the rule in that regard. Most mma guys don't see the value in Aikido, but that's another story. I asked his opinion about Aikido. I wanted to get his thoughts on the art, it's practicality...etc. The way he put it was "it's an art that you can grow old with and actually improve as you get older". I would say that biggest thing to keep in mind while training is trying not to muscle or power your way through the opponent. I know it's a concept that I struggle with daily. In order to learn anything from the art you really need to take into account the mentality. It's such a different concept than an art that specializes in being the aggressor. I think that's where we lose most of the striking arts guys. It can take time to really develop the Aikido mind. I've been training about 1 year and 5 months. I feel like I'm just scratching the surface. There's a long way for me to go, but I'm in no hurry. It's completely changed my life for the better.
I realize that you're probably looking for techniques to add to your mma tool bag, but the art is as deep as it is wide.
With that being said, I'm a fan of mma. There are tons of opportunities to implement Aikido techniques...Sankyo...Kotagaeshi...etc.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your training and wish you the best.

B