Thread: New to Aikido
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 04:11 PM   #12
Dave de Vos

Dojo: Shoryukai, Breda (aikikai) & Aiki-Budocentrum Breda (yoseikan)
Netherlands
Re: New to Aikido

Quote:
Jason Smith wrote: View Post
Well if they imitated me they would just be doing boxing. I'd be interested though if there were some videos outlining proper aikido strikes, and then I could work them on my punching bag. Seeing as I'm more used to stand up striking than them (more than likely) it might add some more depth to the dojo.

The biggest problem I noticed with the striking I've seen so far is that they are seem to be pretty telegraphed. The basic vertical and horizontal chops I have seen them doing require a lot of movement before they land. Also due to it being similar to a slashing motion, it's much easier to block because of it's angle. In contrast, most boxing punches act more like thrusts that are quicker and harder to block because the vector of the attack is more like a point rather than a line.

That said, from what I've seen so far, it seems as if most of the Aikido strikes were intended to be blocked so that you can begin to grapple your opponent, they are simply baits, but I would think that there is more to it than just that. Again, if someone could link me to videos outlining strikes I'd definitely would like to look into that.
I'm a beginner in both aikido an kyokushin karate so take everything I say with a grain of salt, but I don't think the offense strikes with a lot of telegraphing should be practiced for their martial value. I think these strikes are just training tools, like the pads used in karate training.

If you are looking for aikido strikes with martial value, you should look at the defensive strikes: atemi.

My teacher stresses that these defensive strikes should be executed with as little telegraphing as possible. They are executed quickly from short range and preferably from a direction where the attacker does not see it coming. They are not intended to knock out the attacker, but to startle and off-balance him.

Last edited by Dave de Vos : 03-24-2011 at 04:13 PM.