Thread: New to Aikido
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States
Re: New to Aikido

I am going to skip over commenting on the first part of your post and focus on the questions you asked at the end.....

Stretching is good. Try doing the exercises you are doing in class on your own. A lot of the stretches and strength exercises you do in class are done for a reason. Exercises for your core are always a good thing, but don't forget about your back muscles or you will get muscle imbalance. Some people find that yoga and pilates helps out with both of those areas.

If you are having problems with stamina, which you may not have an issue with because MMA is usually big on that, you could try doing more cardio. Figure out what works for you. Some people are walkers, joggers, runners, elliptical-ers, etc. Heck, skip rope and shadow box a while and you will get plenty of cardio. I'm sure you are already familiar with those! Why not enjoy your past art while you get fit at the same time?

There are things you can practice on your own later (footwork, weapons, ukemi, etc), but I would wait until you have been instructed in those areas before you take those on yourself. Best of luck in your future training. It can be a lot of fun!

Last edited by ninjaqutie : 03-23-2011 at 03:35 PM.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.