View Single Post
Old 01-18-2014, 08:04 PM   #32
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: Banned from Aikido...

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
OTOH, the OP (although he used the word "fight") seems to be pretty much talking about just that - a mutually agreed upon contest, playing.
Not just "fight," but "street fight." It was a poor choice in words, even though he may have only meant it to be a friendly bit of sparring (he did say as much and did describe wanting to make sure no one comes to any real harm), but I can see a school being a bit nervous about having their name associated with it. In litigious America, I'd certainly be nervous about the potential hassles.
I have no problem with people testing each other under most circumstances, but this didn't sit well with me as I was reading it either...it's hard for me to shake certain connotations related to a "street fight" brought about from someone talking @#$%.
Whatever the case, I hope the OP bears it in mind as one more lesson offered by his teachers to add to the list of things to consider and is able to keep training in the way he enjoys.

As relates to the laws in some places, I bring you Phoenix Jones: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teBnJYO0SSY

Last edited by mathewjgano : 01-18-2014 at 08:09 PM.

Gambarimashyo!