Thread: Sticky Weapons
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2004, 08:51 AM   #5
Jeff Tibbetts
Dojo: Cedar River Aikikai
United_States
Re: Sticky Weapons

I always use this combination on my weapons with no ill effect. I sand the weapons first with the finest grade sandpaper and then apply one coat by hand rubbing it in for about 15 minutes. After that I let them sit somewhere for just about ten minutes or so and then I wipe off all the excess. When I got my weapons for the first time I put about three of these coats on and let it dry overnight, buffing it down in the mornings over three days but now to renew it I just do one coat. The first morning after a treatment it will still be sticky but if you wipe it down good the night before and once more when it's dry it's fine. The only thing that I think would make it much stickier is if you didn't rub the oil in as you apply, so it's all on the surface, or if you put way too much on. I usually coat my fingers in it and just put enough on that it slides in my hands easily while I'm applying it.

Let me know how it works out, I'm curious why it works differently for you than it does for me. Incidentally I just treated my weapons two days ago with Tung oil only because I couldn't get the damn cap off of the Linseed oil and I haven't used my weapons yet. I'll check it out and let you know if that feels any better or different.

Hope this helps...

If the Nightingale doesn't sing-
wait