View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #7
MM
United_States
Re: Ueshiba the monomaniac?

Quote:
Cady Goldfield wrote: View Post
Maybe "excessively driven" would be an appropriate word to describe these men. This has a familiar ring to it, when considering excellence and success in other arenas, such as business, science, music and art. We all respect people who have "drive" and have earned their success with it. Without drive, we can all be so-so, okay, good, or even really good, but it's the ones with "super drive" who become the high bar.

Musing... It occurs to me that the Big Four all had wives, traditional Japanese wives, who tended to everything on the home front to make it possible for these men to train as they did.

What's that old saying about "Behind every successful man..."?
Hi Cady,

Yeah, excessively driven for sure. But, it's also probable (not a given) that Ueshiba could have been obs/comp about his prayers/chanting. Sagawa could have been that way about the sumo exercise. What amount did Sagawa say he did every day? 1000? I forget. But it was a large number and that seems to go beyond excessively driven to me.

The point though is that these men were well beyond "normal" in their behaviors in martial training, yet historically they did not show a trend to maim, abuse, or kill their students. Ueshiba was famous for flying into a rage.

But if we compare Sagawa, Ueshiba, Horikawa to all their students in regards to hurting people ... Who becomes the better role model? Those with IP/aiki or those without?

How does excessive behavior factor into it?

How does IP/aiki change such that hurting people is no longer an option?

How does IP/aiki vs muscle/jujutsu compare?

(JOKE alert. Do you know when a woman is going to say something intelligent? She starts her sentence off with, "My husband told me that ..." )