View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 04:06 AM   #139
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom
Re: Tadashi Abe and Kenji Tomiki and their criticism

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
I must say that in all the videos pointed to of people doing ip I cannot see personally any relationship to what O'Sensei did.

I do see certain effects demonstrated and why that can lead to some calling them 'tricks' or indeed showing off. That doesn't mean what they are doing is not real but it doesn't impress me. Why? Because over the years I have learned many ways of doing things that look impressive and yet find in myself it's o.k. as part of learning but not what I call Aikido. In fact onlookers love those things and want to know how it's done but that to me defeats the purpose of doing Aikido unless I want to be a circus act.

When I watch O'Sensei the main and most enduring thing I see is harmonious motion. I see an ability to unerringly lead the attacker, to smoothly and magically almost 'dissappear' and 'reappear' due to his command over correct motion and spacial awareness. When the person attacks he is indeed already behind them.

Of course many who trained with O'Sensei were taken aback by his 'power' and and thus many have stated as much and yet I feel it is this point that leads people astray. How to be more powerful. So much said about his power and his strength and yet not so much emphasised on his Aiki motion. Thus people are blinded in my opinion.

I find those who also trained with O'Sensei and yet prefer to talk about and demonstrate principles and how they relate to harmonious motion, connection and tachnique generally do not do these 'impressive' demos of 'magical' (yet real,depending) power.

So back to the thread and Tomiki. Not my style and to bring a smile to tony's face-not my cup of tea, I'm quite'cosy' with what I do. But seriously though, when I watch the motions done, the basic motions in Tomiki I see sliding movement in all eight directions designed to harmonize and enter etc. Excellent. His aim as with most Aikido Shihans was to give a method that leads towards the goal of harmony.

These are my observations I have been drawn to offer be they as they are.

The only personal gripe I have really is 'when will people realize that true power lies in harmony.'

Regards.G.