View Single Post
Old 10-25-2006, 10:33 AM   #4
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States
Re: man, it's tough!

Quote:
Ian Dodkins wrote:
Totally agree. I've only been teaching for about 4 years, but doing something and trying to explain why and how you are doing something are completely different things!

I used to do a funny joke sometimes with a particular student in demonstrations. I always knew he would try and resist the technique i would try to put on so I would always say the converse of the technique I was actually going to do! e.g. I would say I was going to do morote-dori kokyu-nage/sokumen irimi-nage. As he leaned his full weight on my arm holding it down, I would just do kaiten-nage - it would always look like I'd done the most perfect throw, just because I could predict where he was going to apply the force!
I have a student just like yours! I can't tell him what I'm going to do, or he'll try to resist. If I throw him twice with the same technique, the third time will fail.

Perhaps you need to have the same talk with your student as I just recently had with mine.

I told my student that every student in the dojo was learning from him too, not just me, and that he should show them how to do ukemi safely.

If I throw him with four different techniques by adapting to what he gives, then my aikido is alright...

but how will everyone else know what to work on?

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida