View Single Post
Old 07-20-2007, 11:31 AM   #4
MM
United_States
Re: Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 4

Quote:
Peter Goldsbury wrote:
The qualification, 'or not', is also important here, since the possibility has to be considered seriously that none of his uchi-deshi fully understood what Morihei Ueshiba had spent his entire life developing-and was spending a major part of his life in showing them. There are several plausible reasons for this. One is that he was unique: a martial arts genius; and therefore in the nature of things this unique quality cannot be quantified or reproduced. Another reason is that he showed them only waza-the tips of the iceberg-and left them to penetrate for themselves the vast legacy of personal training lying beneath the surface. A third reason is that they never cracked the code to begin with: they never succeeded in understanding the explanations he gave because they did not have time or skill for such private training. A fourth reason is that he really did not care whether they understood or not, even though he could see it from their training: it was simply not his responsibility as a Living Mirror also to make sure that the reflections in the mirror were adequate. This was the responsibility of his deshi, who at least had been afforded the opportunity to look closely in the mirror.
Sensei,
Thank you for what you've written. It's like reading a good book. At the end of the chapter, you're left with wanting to read more.

I have just a thought about the portion above. In regards to your plausible reason #1, I find it very unlikely. My reason being that some of the students of Morihei Ueshiba also met and felt Sokaku Takeda. Rather than noting that Takeda's skills were completely different, they noted instead that his skills were far better. In other words, if you look at those student's views, they did not liken Takeda as someone completely different than Ueshiba, but instead as someone far better at the same skills. And looking at Takeda, we can see that he instilled these same skills to a few other students. In that regard, Ueshiba can not be seen as being unique.

Thank you,
Mark