View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 01:44 PM   #227
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States
Re: Video definitions, "Aiki" and other terms.

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
Greg,
I don't want anything I say to be personal.

Suggesting that 10 years of dedicated martial arts training is small compared to your 34 is silly. If you both studied medicine, you'd both be doctors. Comments like this keep our martial art in the dark ages.

The demonstration you are discussing is cooperative. Just because you don't "think" it is when you are doing it doesn't change that fact. Could he do that on someone with no Aikido training, who wasn't interested in playing along? From what I can see, no.

This could be shown on film very easily. Do it on a street corner, like David Blaine. Ask some passers by to try your "experiment". Sounds like a lot of work, and I wouldn't blame you for not trying it. But the door is open if you'd like to try.

The suggestion that this stuff is impossible to show on film leads me, as an objective person, to believe what you are talking about is false.There have been a myriad of very odd answers about this "power" that some are calling "Aiki". Answers that a skeptical person, like myself, finds preposterous.

Again my video offer stands. If you can do something on video that I can't duplicate, I'd love to see it.
Chris:

You have Mike Sigman gently saying that you are scratching a surface in some areas and chasing your tail in others. He is kind enough to meet with you and work with you to show you that you do not know what you do not know until you experience it.

You have Dan Harden bluntly telling you that you are off-base and has also offered to meet with you. He too is willing to show you that you do not know what you do not know until you experience it.

Both of these men are highly respected and accomplished in the area that you are trying to pursue. Both of them are being honest and open with you. What looks phony frequently is and what is real in the IP world also looks phony. That makes viewing video tapes to be difficult at best. Your challenges are simply assuming that you know more than you do. Instead of posturing on the web, spend some money and travel to work with either Mike or Dan. It will be a wise investment. The path you are currently on is simply looking like a person backed into the corner, trying to appear invulnerable. I would love to hear a report from you after spending a weekend training with either one of these accomplished gentlemen.

Regards,

Marc Abrams