View Single Post
Old 09-12-2002, 10:06 AM   #7
akiy

In the same way that you learn about different approaches/styles to aikido provides you with more understanding about the entire, I believe that learning about the terminology that they use does the same.

I don't think there's anything keeping people from asking what a term means. Don't know what shihandai means? Why not ask? Don't know why Tohei sensei started using "kote oroshi" rather than "kote gaeshi"? I think the explanation in and of itself is quite interesting moreso than just its semantic component.

Translating a name of a technique doesn't do too much, either. Does "breath throw" really describe a technique better than "kokyu nage"? How about the translation for the terms "ikkyo" and "ikkajo"?

(Also, in the case of "kokyu nage," that name does refer to a specific technique at least in Aikikai aikido and Ki Society aikido (although you'd have to switch "iriminage" and "kokyunage" around for the two organizations).)

Personally, I think that learning the jargon of an art is part of the learning process. If you were interested in FreeBSD kernel hacking, there'd be some learning of the jargon there necessary. You wouldn't expect each kernel hacker talking about the subject to put footnotes in every single one of their postings to clarify every technical term, and I, for one, wouldn't expect the same here.

So, my suggestion would be if people do have questions about certain terms/phrases that they've never seen before, ask! Or take a look in the language section here or do a quick search.

I'd rather celebrate the differences than make everyone the same, in any case. Although the former puts the onerous task of learning onto the individual, the latter I don't believe to be a possible nor, in my mind, preferable situation.

Regards,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!