View Single Post
Old 04-25-2008, 12:07 PM   #61
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Daito Ryu, Yoshinkan, Taichi & Secrets

Quote:
Chris Parkerson wrote: View Post
Dan Hardin suggests that Daito kuzushi practices and Tai Chi-style internal stuff is fundamentally different. I tend to agree with this statement.
I don't know if Dan suggested that or not, but there is no fundamental difference. No more than "Ki" and "Qi" are different.
Quote:
But the sound bite many folks are getting is that the Chinese internal stuff is what makes tis daito technique work. Are you folks saying that Okamoto and Shioda employed the Chinese internal practices to make their traditional techniques work?
Chinese, Schminese. The original body-technology is almost undoubtedly from India via Buddhist training methodologies (although it's probable that this is in ancient Hindu practices, too). Who cares where it came from, though? The question is who does it, and Shioda obviously knows how to do these things. He also used the "held up by students and then make them fall down" trick. It's the same principle of "aiki"... just a variation of it.
Quote:
A second question; are we morphing the idea Kokyo breath techniques as practiced by the Japanese into a Chinese thing? Kokyo/Ki seems to be a construct that is being filled with Chinese meaning rather than a Japanese one as portrayed by the Daito and Yanagi that I have learned. I have Kokyo in every throw I do. But Dan would tell me that it is an external thing I am doing. Nevertheless, I suspect that what I am doing is very close if not nearly exactly the same thing Okamoto and Kondo are doing, only at a less proficient stage.
Watching what you do, I'd bet with Dan, but I'm always willing to feel it in person before I venture a final opinion... so my opinion stands as an opinion only.

Regards,

Mike Sigman