View Single Post
Old 03-30-2004, 10:29 AM   #5
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Anonymous,

This is totally my opinion and I'm not a black belt, so take it as you will, but...

Any negative thoughts you have towards others come from ego, sub-conscious mind, etc. and have NOTHING to do with the other person as it is only your perception of them you are focused on.

Aikido itself should help you get over this issue, but you need to focus more.

Do you meditate at all? When I introvert and over analize stuff/think too much, I slow down and focus, clear my mind of ANY thought whatsoever and get back to the task at hand.

Do not focus on rank. Belts and rank can be a sign of accomplishment, but they can also be tokens handed out to readily. Forget about them.

Do not focus on the ability of your fellow classmates in comparison to your own. Instead, find your "one-point" and DO the technique! If your not getting it, ask your sensei for advice. If your thinking about it to much, STOP (takes less than a second to stop) center yourself and do it again. Then do it again. And after that... do it again.

When I find myself frustrated with my uke, 9 times out of 10 it was because I wasn't doing something right on MY part.

Ignore the others and work on yourself. Rank systems have a way of sorting out the bad from the good on down the line. If they guy that is frustrating you is really not attending as much as he should, he'll get left behind sooner or later and that comes under the catagory of "His problem."

Good luck. Train smarter, not harder.