View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011, 09:02 AM   #38
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States
Re: Is Mifune showing IP/Aiki

Ya know, Demetrio, this is why this stuff gets tiring for *everyone* involved. It's not like we're talking about absolutes. I've seen a *lot* of really experienced judoka who could do really amazing things. I do subscribe to Ellis' idea in his "Hidden in Plain Sight" book that through long term proper ukemi people can develop a "different" physicality. And I have little doubt many people in many arts develop some of these abilities to some extent or another.

Whether they *focus* on those things and try to develop it explicitly is another issue entirely.

I have *long* argued that the problem with this stuff within Aikido is that those who could do it to some extent or another lacked a complete and comprehensive framework from within which to transmit the information to their students. That doesn't mean there wasn't some transmission to some. Just that many didn't "get it" simply because the person who "had it" lacked the ability to communicate what they were doing. They "felt it" because for whatever reason they had developed the ability/sensitivity to do it. But lacking that development the students were handicapped. The teacher says "just relax and extend ki". The student says "what the hell does that mean?" The teacher feels it. The student doesn't.

I have trained with people in JJ who have remarkably subtle body skills, something I'd call akin to aiki. Whether it is their primary tool or just something they developed varies with each person. And I'm sure as hell not the judge of who's got it and who doesn't.

I see Mifune doing stuff that reminds me greatly of times I've been thrown in incredibly subtle ways not using just muscle, timing and technique. I see the attacker's balance taken before the throw. I see no jerk, no "power" move, just a clean, solid connection taking a much larger man down. Something from his very core.

I've seen similar stuff in a some martial artists. Usually the very experienced, long term guys who trained very, very hard for many years who over time softened up in to amazingly subtle artists. Based on *my* experiences and what *I've* felt I have little problem saying they probably have developed some degree of the body and sensitivity to do some of this stuff. Is it pure? Is it canonical? Hell, I don't know. I don't care either.

It's not either/or. And this sort of petty bickering and absolutist crap is simply silly.

Please forget I ever posted a thought. Make your own minds up. Lord knows I keep going out and getting hands on different people and I've had to swallow my pride many times already. Will likely have to do it again. So on that note, damatte keikoshiro. No, I'm not saying that to anyone else. Just myself.