View Single Post
Old 03-14-2001, 02:31 PM   #12
PM
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
Hello all,

I couldn't help but respond to this particular discussion. I am a former competitive bodybuilder turned martial artist. When I quit bodybuilding to begin studying martial arts, i was 5'6" and 185lbs. I couldn't understand why I had such a tough time keeping up with my much older and smaller sensei. So I sat down and developed a new weight training strategy that would work better for my martial arts. It is pretty simlpe, it is a matter of doing some aroebics 20-30 mins. and then a weight training routine that used high reps, low weight and lots of stretching. I also worked very hard to develop my reflexes, punching and kicking drills for speed. My sensei was quite impressed with my speed and endurance and how much better my fighting skills were as a result of this routine.

The key is to remember that each one of us is different, what works for me, may not work for all. Experiment with different excercises, running sprints, circuit training etc. I have learned that doing a tough leg routine the day before we do a lot of shikko, can be a painful mistake.

I don't believe in fad diets or books. Use your common sense, I like a higher protein to carb diet. It makes me feel good, not so run down, but if your body responds to a different diet, then more power to you. Educate yourself and play with new ideas, it's the only way you will learn what's best for you....

Pete