View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 08:59 PM   #160
OwlMatt

Dojo: Milwaukee Aikikai
United_States
Re: should you smoke marijuana on your aikido journey

Quote:
Russ Qureshi wrote: View Post
Your statement seems logical and obvious, however, I would caution anyone making up "Rules and Responsibilities" of the martial artist.....simply because they don't necessarily apply to everyone (especially in different cultural contexts).
I'm pretty sure the responsibility of caring for one's body is pretty universal in the martial arts. I, for one, have never heard an exception.
Quote:
Re: the arrogant and narrow minded high ranking folk....do you have nothing to learn from them? Does their arrogance preclude them from being excellent martial artists? If nothing else, you observe them and say "I won't be like that...." Do the living shihan you like their scotch and tobacco get kicked out of the budo club because they don't live up to everyone's standards.....?
I'm not suggesting anything of the kind. I only meant that we ought not blindly accept something (especially something not directly related to aikido technique) as a good idea simply because it comes from a person of high rank.
Quote:
It's a given that taking a mind altering substance and then training is a bad idea but, what someone does outside the dojo, the personal choices that person makes, are really not IMHO up for anyone else to judge....until you've walked a mile in their shoes and all that....
I don't mean to judge anyone. Like I said before, if someone has a good reason for doing something, that's all well and good. I'm just having a hard time imagining such a reason.