View Single Post
Old 02-20-2004, 01:26 PM   #35
aikidocapecod
Dojo: Shobu Aikido Cape Cod
United_States
After reading the original post, I thought back to a fellow aikidoka that was once in our class. Same issue. Big, strong, aggresive and also a student of another martial art.

After getting hit by him...let me tell you the evening stars on a clear night have never been that bright....I stood there hands behind my back and just looked at him. No word spoken. total eye contact. After a short period of time, Sensei came by asking why we were not practicing. I asked Sensei what I did incorrectly in my technique that allowed Uke to punch me full force in the face?

Sensei said, "you failed to partner with an Uke that has learned self control." He went on to stop class and apologize to the entire class for being such a bad Sensei. He said, If I had taught you all that aikido class is a place of learning and partnership and friendship, then one would not feel they had to strike, full force, their partner.

He then ended class......

Weeks later, the big strong aggressive guy who bruised his knuckles by smacking me in the face showed up again in class.

Humble...and the perfect partner...