View Single Post
Old 07-05-2010, 10:17 PM   #30
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: Life Question - Harming Another Human Being

Quote:
George Howard wrote: View Post
I had wondered if there were any other ethical vegans on here, actually...
Why are you a vegetarian - if you don't mind my asking?
It is a personal thing for me. I think that there is too much killing and too much suffering in the world. Animals bear a significant part of this suffering in the name of efficiency and profit, all so we can eat them.

One day I woke up and read an article about the meat industry and I just felt it was not for me any longer. That was about 12 years ago.

There is no need to eat animals, so I don't. It is really that simple for me.

I have no issue with those that hunt, or animals that are killed compassionately. With no natural predators, for example, we need to control deer populations etc. I think there are humane practices that are commpassionate and justifiable.

I think that if we are going to evolve as human beings as a species, it needs to start with how we treat our planet and how we treat other life forms on the planet.

Harm is harm IMO, and I don't see a difference between harming people and harming animals unnecessarily.

I think there is much merit to what Ghandi said, be the change you want to see in the world.

All that said, I don't preach to others or look down on them etc because they eat meat etc. Again it is a personal choice for me.