View Single Post
Old 05-14-2007, 11:04 AM   #4
John Ruhl
Dojo: Cleveland Aikikai
United_States
Re: Ueshiba on the future of Aikido

Quote:
Paul Sanderson-Cimino wrote: View Post
I'm just a random 3rd kyuu, but the problem I have with that image (as it appears) is that nage ends up spinning off the line. Uke continues forward, and is not displaced or disrupted at all. It looks nice with uke just charging straight forward, but I don't think that's how most people move.
Paul -

I think the discussion above was about tachi-dori, so the attacker is striking (say, shomen) with a bokken. I think that committed strike, with the commitment coming as uke is coming straight up the line, keeps them from moving off the line fast.

The only point of the drawing (if there is one) is to show the first movement of uke is straight up the line, followed by slightly off the line and a rotation after uke is committed. I think you start to take uke's balance after the initial irimi (and whatever degree of rotation you do) is over and you've "fit appropriately" and begun technique. I haven't attempted to show anything after the initial irimi. That said, I'm sure you're right that the attacker will move a little and that's way beyond my drawing skills.

To answer Jeop, I don't think this needs to be associated with a specific technique; it's just the irimi to get into position to "fit appropriately". The full rotation (180deg) might lead to kote-gaeshi, for example. I haven't seen irimi-nage used for tachi-dori... would love to see an example.

[At this point I think we've completely moved this thread away from its initial point...]

cheers,
John