View Single Post
Old 07-12-2005, 11:35 AM   #165
Alfonso
Re: Highest Level Martial Arts and Aikido

Hi, just for fun I thought some of these quotes may be relevant for the discussion..

Quote:
O-Sensei, especially in his later years, would often talk about the concept of Takemusu Aiki...
Sensei understood the word "takemusu" as the revelation of one of the kami. "Takemusu" is the basis for the creation of all things. Aikido represents the form which creates all things through the body. O-Sensei said, "Aiki is to teach the basis for the creation of budo in which techniques are born as one moves." So you have to understand the basis for the creation of techniques. The basis is kokyu power. There is nothing else. When you develop kokyu power, countless techniques emerge. You can't create techniques only by doing the forms of the past. They only represent one form. A practice of these old forms alone will not lead to the development of the next higher techniques. You can make your opponent's power as your own power freely according to his movements, whether he pushes, pulls, or raises up. This is not possible unless you become one with your partner.
(...)
The basis of Aikido is "kokyu power". The term "kokyu power" existed before the word Aikido began to be used. Therefore, unless you are able to employ your own kokyu power completely and demonstrate, explain and teach it clearly, it is nothing but a mysterious term.
- Kanshu Sunadomari (2)
Aiki News #65 (December 1984)

Quote:
Saito Sensei has three things that he always does during training. Tai No Henko, the basic blending exercise, then he does Kokyuho from the two-hand grab, and finally Kokyudosa. He considers those to be the three basic exercises that you should always do. He always finishes the practice with Kokyudosa and begins the practice with Tai No Henko and Kokyuho.
- Interview with Bill Witt shihan

Quote:
The subtle uses of ki is the parent that causes one's kokyu (breath or breathing) to change intricately. This is indeed the main source of bu with Love. When one unifies his mind and body by means of "the subtle uses of ki" and practices the Way of Aiki, the subtle changes of his breathing naturally start flowing out from this unity and technique appears freely...
- Founder of Aikido (26): Martial Way - Human Way
by Kisshomaru Ueshiba
Aiki News #55 (June 1983) quoting Morihei Ueshiba in Aikikai bulletin 1950 - 1960

Quote:
Do you remember any episodes in particular from your younger years of training involving 0-Sensei?
There are many people who talk about how strong Ueshiba Sensei was. There was the time when he taught at the naval academy - I also would accompany him - at that time His Imperial Highness Prince Takamatsu was a student of the academy. Ueshiba Sensei took great care in instruct ing the class. Other officers came saying they would like to see his strength since they heard that he was very strong. At that time we had already finished training and Ueshiba Sensei and I had finished dressing and were about to go home. Sensei stood at the very edge of the tatami of the dojo and told us to push against him using our whole bodies. First, one, then two and then three of us pushed against him but he didn't move at all. Then, the officers said they wanted to try pushing him. Even though they were students they were about 30 years old. About ten of them push ed against us from behind with all their might but Ueshiba Sensei didn't move at all. The tatami on which we were standing on started to slip backwards, but the tatami on which Ueshiba Sensei was stand ing didn't move. Usually, if you push both the person and the tatami will move, but that wasn't the case with Ueshiba Sensei. We were standing on the inside tatami push ing but they started slipping back wards. As usual, when he gave a kiai (shout) they all fell flat. It was unbelievable! It was a very profound mystery! It was completely different from the normal case where someone is strong at budo or good at techniques. It was a completely different dimension. Mind and body unification, kokyu, ki spirit-body unification and the unification of the universe and humankind - these states exist just on the verge of becoming real.
Interview with Rinjiro Shirata (2)
Aiki News #63 (September 1984)

Quote:
Let me quote from the "Aikido Newspaper" of November and December 1964, in which Tenryu wrote about their 1942 match.

(Partially quoted) ...I thought to myself, "This old man isn't much of anything." As you know he is a small-built person. However, as soon as I casually took hold of his arm. I could sense from my experience in Sumo that this man was really something. It felt as if I had grabbed an iron bar. I wanted to acknowledge defeat right away, despite the fact that everybody was watching. Then Sensei said, "You go ahead and do anything you want with my hand. You can twist it, push it or wrench it. I am not putting any strength in it." So I again went to grab it with all my might. Sensei then instantaneously evaded and before I realized it I said, "I'm beaten. Till now I had harbored a little doubt about your ability but your kokyu and the power you just showed have made me realize everything. Please allow me to become your student.' Sensei then replied, 'I appreciate a person like you asking in such a frank way. I will allow you to be my student.

In his memoirs, Tenryu wrote more:

In those days I was a bit too proud and nonchalant but my ego shrank when I faced the inexplicably strong, secret martial arts technique of Moritaka Ueshiba Sensei. He was already past sixty and I faced him with some confidence in my ability at empty-handed technique. However, the moment Sensei's hand touched my arm, my whole body was paralyzed, and I asked for permission to join the Kobukan dojo in Ushigome Wakamatsu-cho.

Alfonso Adriasola