View Single Post
Old 06-15-2008, 03:49 PM   #12
raul rodrigo
Philippines
Re: Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 7

In an interview by Laurin Herr and Tim Detmer (translated by Aya Nishimoto and Laurin Herr) in issue #79 of Aikido Today Magazine (December 2001), Hikitsuchi said: I first met O-Sensei about eight years after he started teaching in a warehouse in Shingu. That was 65 years ago, [1937] when I was 14 years old. A man named Kubo Sensei had invited O-Sensei to come to Shingu from Tanabe, his home town, and O-Sensei initially taught Aikido in the warehouse of the Taiheyo Sake Brewery in Shingu. That was perhaps the first place he taught Aikido in Japan – the very beginning....My father passed away when I was two years old, and my mother when I was seven. My maternal grandmother raised me after my parents died. She had studied a little naginata. Therein was the origin of my relationship to Budo and to O-Sensei. My grandmother wanted to raise me to be a good adult, and so she told me to study Judo and Kendo. I started Kendo in the second grade at age nine. During that period, O-Sensei started visiting Shingu and teaching at the warehouse. He did not teach Aikido publicly. It was not considered something to show everyone. To be O-Sensei’s student, one was required to have five guarantors who would vouch for you personally. Not just anyone could study Aikido.
Kubo Sensei took me to see Aikido for the first time, when I was 14, and he introduced me to O-Sensei after I had won first prize in a local martial arts contest.