View Single Post
Old 01-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
Alec Corper

Dojo: Itten Suginami Dojo, Nunspeet
Netherlands
Re: testing (skill) aikido

I'll try to say again what I said previously. If the roles of Uke and Tori are pre-established and the attack and defense pre-defined then the pressure testing suggested by the OP are pointless and tend to lead to stupid competition. By stupid I mean muscular force as opposed to real skill (IP or jutsu). I agree with Marc that rivalry testing is dangerous, especially when one party offers their body to be used a s some type of crash test dummy. In respectful kumite both parties are simultaneously uke and tori, neither knows what will happen, and locking your hands on to someone and applying static force probably means a severe blow. Testing in it's proper place is noncompetitive, unless both parties agree to a rule based competition. Thats OK, but its not budo, its sport, and thats fine too, if you want to be a winning athlete.
However, if you are pursuing a path of either self development or actual combat skills, or possibly both (my understanding of budo, not to be forced upon anyone else), then testing some a partner offers you to help you escape delusion and nonsense. I like Marc's last comment " If you can keep yourself as your greatest opponent, you are always open to learning from others, regardless of the external results." Words of truth Marc, not bad for a New Yorker ;-)

If your temper rises withdraw your hand, if your hand rises withdraw your temper.