View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 09:51 AM   #36
Budd

Dojo: Taikyoku Budo & Kiko - NY, PA, MD
United_States
Re: Why the extended fingers in Aikido postures

Quote:
Ellis Amdur wrote: View Post
Mark - I, too, would be curious not only of the original Japanese (Shirata may well have changed the terminology) but also what he was taught. Why? Because asagao - morning glory - is the name of a "gokui" associated in the positioning of the hands and fingers in Daito-ryu. I read a debate in which it was asserted that the blooming of the hands was (of course) a manifestation of opening and extension within the entire body.
Best
Ellis Amdur
I'm of two minds about this - from the investigative and "data point collection" frame of mind, it's fascinating to get more intel on how translations differ from the original intent as well as different "clues" that different systems use to measure achievement or proficiency.

Then on the other hand . . I can see where people might focus so much on the blooming of the hands that they miss the opening/extension of the body that achieves this. Like when folks try to duplicate the shaking power of a Chen style fajin without having the middle controls, connected body or leg strength to really issue power.

Or even in mainstream aikido where the softness that's trained may miss the underlying strength that makes it powerful without the foundational work.