View Single Post
Old 07-31-2011, 07:09 AM   #26
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: Why the extended fingers in Aikido postures

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
It is essentially a meeting and wrapping manner that I mean by "grab," though you may be right otherwise. I could make a similar effect on my own arm where I would barely/gently "wrap" my arm in my hand and cause my finger-tips to suddenly twinge with added pressure. I've been trying it since my last post and don't come anywhere near to producing what I remember.
I'm more interested in how finger extension might relate to fist/hand connection. For example, the tora no kuchi (tiger's mouth), ippon ken; etc.
I know ippon ken in particular isn't very extended looking, but surely it relates to the "unbreakable circle" I believe Tohei Sensei spoke of?
Hi Matthew.
Ippon ken? Well when holding the bokken in such a way you are extending through the centre of it, through it's centre line.

So no it's not to do with the unbreakable circle if you're talking about Ki extension.

The hands wrapping around form the unbreakable circle yes but the Ki extension actually comes from tegatana.

The elbow may lead but tegatana extends and cuts. When your tegatana becomes one with the sword then it becomes one with you and thus is no longer a heavy object but merely part of you.

As far as the effect on your fingers when you hold the arm or wrist well that happens basically on a 'dead' arm so to speak. It's due to the simple cutting off of blood flow, the fingers wondering what's going on. Sometimes it could be you pressing on a nerve.

More importantly though is when your wrist is held then your hand should automatically come alive and not be some 'dead' or lethargic twitching thing.

In fact extending and getting that expanding effect is one side of the equation because letting the energy or power from the hold come in to centre first and then extending back out is the whole.

The extended knuckle strikes etc. are not of much concern to me.
Of course they would be the extension point for ki but their use is more to do with specific points or pressure points. Any knuckle or elbow or knee etc could be used in such ways so it's not that significant really. In Aikido for me it's more a matter of being aware of such things and even how to handle such things rather than use them for they are not exactly harmonious.

Having said that I find tegatana a much more powerful thing and even an extended finger.

Heres something you can practice if you feel the need. Hold a piece of paper, just by one edge say with your left hand and jab your finger through it with your right hand. If you are using force it will dent or crumple to a degree but the aim is for you to be able to put your finger straight through it leaving a hole. The paper must be held mainly by thumb and finger so there is no tension in it.

When you can do this you will know ki extension through the finger used as a weapon.

Regards.G.