Thread: Full Resistance
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2008, 09:17 PM   #53
Jonathan
Dojo: North Winnipeg Aikikai
Re: Full Resistance

Quote:
I think this post demonstrates the general level of ignorance that exists in this thread regarding Shodokan training practices. It is interesting how many ppl cannot differentiate between a fight, a competition, a practice fight and a training drill.
I'm a little confused: On what basis, exactly, do you infer from my comment that I am unable to differentiate such things from one another? In fact, I can. I believe I refer to the knife competition as such. I don't call it a "fight," or a "drill," or a "practice fight."

Quote:
But then again, how many here have actually had to deal with serious personal violence while unarmed?
What does this have to do with being able to distinguish a competition from an actual fight?

Quote:
It is interesting how many comment on things they may know nothing about.
With regards to what I may or may not understand about Aikido and what an actual fight is like, it seems you should include yourself in this statement.

Quote:
In Shodokan training "resistance" has a lot more to do than "not being thrown" or "muscling out of technique" in fact this is not at all encouraged. It is a process of utilizing the opponent's waza to enter into your own kaeshiwaza ("resistance" by matching your opponent's movement) or instantly negate his power so that he cannot effect kuzushi ("resistance" via structural realignment and grounding of balance) and by extension execute successful waza. Like I said, there are no online clips with explanations of this so I won't bother trying to explain it.
Well, you actually just did - sort of. Look, I understand quite well what you're talking about here. We do similar principle-based training regularly.

Quote:
We need to remember that sometimes ppl's lives may actually depend on what we teach.
Which is why I have some qualms about the whole competition thing. I saw a couple of tae kwon do guys who were so competition-oriented that they had little idea how to use their skills outside of point scoring. What they had been taught revolved around competition so much that they were totally useless in an actual fight. I can't help but wonder to what degree (if at all) this excessive competition focus occurs in Shodokan Aikido. And if it does occur, how clearly do the students recognize that their competition shiai is very different from actual fighting.

"Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend."