View Single Post
Old 04-07-2005, 05:41 AM   #13
Dazzler
Dojo: Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England
Re: Defending against Aikido

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote:
I recommend going to the ground and into the guard to be quite honest since you are probably headed there anyway. All the more reason work on ground fighting skills..........

Ends up looking like NHB or MMA stuff when being done for real. That is why I say go to the guard...it is the most likely position of defense you will be able to acheive.

It may well be where you end up...but voluntarily going to the ground for me is an absolute no no.

This is why NHB and MMA while being excellent training are still not the same as street fighting.

What about multiple attackers, what about drunken bystanders who are ready to kick off at any excuse?

I agree for sure that if you've no choice then its a great idea to have a ground game. If this is your strength and you know its just the 2 of you then again...why not?

But I can't agree that its a place to go voluntarily and would certainly never recommend it except as a last resort.

On a different note in response to other posts ...I've been lead to believe that ukemi is mainly to enable safe practice. As an option against realistically applied attacks it probably doesn't exist other than as a breakfall.

FWIW

D