View Single Post
Old 05-16-2011, 12:30 PM   #72
abraxis

United_States
Aikido and Music

Quote:
Marie Noelle Fequiere wrote: View Post
My instructor hasn't done that in a while, but he used to play some meditating music during class, mostly Kitaro. It did help us relax.
I also remember that when I was practicing Karate, we had to move from the place where we were training (we heard there was a big fight between the current owner of the place and some family members who claimed they'd inherited part of it). For about a year, we found refuge in a health club, and there was no way avoiding the music from the weight lifting room. Some students complained about it, but I quickly learned to ignore the din and concentrate on what I was doing.
Marie,

So you found the music chosen by your instructor could help you relax and the music from outside the dojo could be ignored.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGtKxbu7vLI

Looking at Wikipedia for Kitaro it says "The events of September 11, 2001 occurred while he was en route from Japan to Los Angeles. Kitaro's jet liner was diverted to Honolulu for five days, during which time the conceptual endeavor -- which he envisioned as an artistic means to help unify people globally -- took shape. Every track on Sacred Journey of Ku-Kai 1 to 4 contains samples from ancient Japanese temple bells (Peace Bells) from 88 sacred temples and is intended to inspire spiritual awakening and a profound sense of peace in its listeners." Seems like that could prove worth listening to while practicing aikido. If someone wanted to ignore it though it probably wouldn't be too difficult.

Best regards,

RT

Last edited by abraxis : 05-16-2011 at 12:39 PM.