Old 02-23-2012, 02:57 PM   #22
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: Kiichi Hogen and the Secret of Aikido

Quote:
Ernesto Lemke wrote: View Post
Hi Dan,

As I hope was evident in my post, I was raising questions thinking mostly of those people who remain unconvinced there is actually anything to "Internal Training."
Fact is, a lot of aikido practitioners are....unconvinced that is. For those who are not, Chris' points are all but affirming established viewpoints. However, what I think Chris is attempting to show/do, is make a case in favour of IT being a well established aspect to Ueshiba finding it's origin way back to China (among other things - sorry if I'm misrepresenting your aims here Chris).
Pretty close, I'm not (quite) saying what it is (although I threw in some hints for fun), and in a way what it is is irrelevant to the main point.

Aikido has traditionally been presented as something New and Unique, an original creation of Morihei Ueshiba.

Stan Pranin, of course, did a lot to debunk that and show the linkages back to Daito-ryu.

What I was trying to show was that there is a core linkage - admitted and cited by Ueshiba himself, to a long tradition reaching back to China.

I hope that the blog was a clear way to show that linkage in a way that's difficult to dispute and simple to understand. Of course, there is also a lot of other evidence for these kinds of links - but that will come up later.

Whether the composition of that linkage is some form of internal training, or not, I didn't want to address in that one post in any depth, it just gets too complex, I think.

Of course, there's a pretty good chance that will come up in some future discussion...

Best,

Chris