View Single Post
Old 01-05-2007, 08:31 PM   #24
Min Kang
Dojo: Aikido Shobukan Dojo
United_States
Re: "Proactive" Aikido?

Quote:
Don't wonder anymore. Go on the street and fight. Nothin esle will let you develop right solutions. All your 'IF' and other scenario are worth nothing at all. Don't take it as my attack on you, it is simply the reality.
With all due respect, I think you misread my intent in posting.

I am not interested in learning to win a physical altercation. Wait. Let me rephrase that: I am not interested in learning to win a physical altercation through force.

When I first started training in martial arts, I thought that the most important thing it taught me was to walk away from a fight. And I hold to that thought.

I don't know where you train in Canada but I've had the good fortune to take a couple of seminars from Claude Bertheume (sp?) Shihan in Montreal. I was very impressed with his power and precision but ... I admired it most in what his technique implied rather than what it expressed.

I really don't understand this obsession with fighting in an Aikido forum. We're studying a martial art, with an emphasis on "art."

What I'm wondering, and the reason behind my post, was simply to understand the martial background behind the techniques in Aikido as a means to better not only my technique but to better myself.

They that have power to hurt and will do none,
That do not do the thing they most do show,
Who, moving others, are themselves as stone ...