View Single Post
Old 03-05-2003, 12:22 PM   #102
Erik Young
Dojo: Wilmington Kokikai Dojo
You're right. I didn't answer teh question. I don't have an answer. However, that doesn't make my position wrong. What would've happened had our administration not made teh "axis of evil" declaration and finished it's business in Afghanistan (i.e. helping to rebuild the infrastructure shattered by years of war, drought and famine)?

I imagine that Saddam would still be contained. I imagine that teh Taliban would not be making inroads into Afghanistan again. I'm thinking there would be less warfare between various warlords in the conrtyside (last I hear, our troops have been sticking close to major cities). Might some more humanitarian stances on the part of the US might...jsut might...help to put us in a more positive light internationally. People who are not starving and frightened are make better allies and are less likeyl to follow the likes of teh Taliban.

What does this have to do with Iraq? As it stands, we didn't follow through with our promises in Afghanistan. We're taking on an even bigger challenge in Iraq. What makes anyone think we'll do any better there? Do you really tink marching in with guns blazing then marching out jsut as quickly will solve anything? Maybe we stay....still got that Taliban problem though.

What about other countries suffering equally harsh regimes? I don;t hear alot about the likes of Liberia. If we're going to be the global police force, why do we pcik and choose who is worthy of our wrath?

Liek I said, I don;t have any answers. This problem seems to be way too far out of hand. It saddens me. It's a situation that didn;t need to be so far as I'm concerned. Never the less, I will continue to struggle with the dilemma. That's all I can do. The world is a crazy dangerous place...but that does not mean that peace is not a viable alternative. It jsut takes a little more forseight and effort on the part of everyone. Would you be a part of that? It's hard to stare at someone (or someones) who seem hell bent on harming you and not try to land the first punch. It's even harder to stare into the face of hostility and not flinch, not do more than is necessary to resolve the situation. It's hard to back down...even lose face in the process. However, when one can do these things wondeful transformations can take place.

Peace is never achieved through victory over enemies (losers hold grudges)...but in coming into harmony with them.

This comes from personal experience. I can't quote chapter and verse from numerous magazine articles. I can only speak from my heart. Take it or leave it.

Peace,

Erik

HAve you heard the one about the agnostic dyslexic? He wasn't sure if he believed in the existence of Dog.