Thread: shime waza
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2002, 10:59 AM   #13
Alfonso
Unhappy no misunderstanding pls..

Quote:
Be careful about letting Aikido people choke you, as most don't seem to know much about what they are doing, and the chokes end up being very dangerous.
well, my sensei is actually pretty knowledgeable on the subject. Since we're being precise what he usually teaches is strangulation. anything crushing the front is a noooooo no class and its be made inifinitely clear to me.

the stupidity came on my part i'd been reading.. and somewhere got the notion that *smiling* would relax my neck muscles and my interpretation that it would somehow prove to be an advantage in a choke situation got a an opportunity to be tested when I was being used to demonstrate and was already well held at the end of a tech.

.. so i tried it.. and indeed the muscles relaxed in and i realized the tension i had was what had me pinned .. and sensei reflexively reacted by colapsing the hold with my relaxation.. which suddenly left me a hell of a lot tighter than before.

After I was released my throat felt like i was in the middle of a strep throat attack (but only in the oustide part of the throat if you can imagine that , in but not within..)

OK, I felt compelled to detail this so a) someone else can benefit from my bad experience , and b) make it clear that it was myself that brought it on.

I can't generalize about Aikido instructors and choking, but the one I have is definitely in the knowing end of the spectrum..