View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #47
chubbycubbysmash
Dojo: Long Island Aikikai (Bay Shore)
United_States
Re: What would you do? (Older male teacher with young female student)

Quote:
Ashley Carter wrote: View Post
...I am along for the ride here with you. I met my husband in a dojo when I was in 9th grade- don't be alarmed yet!!! He was more or less just another person in the dojo and I paid him no mind for the longest time. In fact, many of those years, I had boyfriends my age. It wasn't until I was 20 that I became attracted to him. An unusual set of circumstances that I was going through had my world falling apart and he became a great friend to me and that friendship slowly grew into something more.

At that time, he was an instructor of mine (he was not an instructor of mine until about a year before that) and was teaching me tai chi and aikido. My main martial arts instructor had a big issue with it because he was in a position of authority over me.... and then there is the age difference. He is older than my parents.... He was in his early 50's when I met him. Disturbing to some.... disgusting to others. To us, it was love.
Yes yes, precisely! I thought he was just another person, and quite an unremarkable person at that because he's introverted and I didn't notice him at all, except for the fact that I took his classes. Also count me in for the unusual set of circumstances (although it was he that was going through it at the time) and we ended up being good friends that developed into something more.

Even to some of my peers it was strange, but you can't help who you love, right?

I'm not brave or smart or particularly generous, but I'll take my values and live by them--and that is my standard measurement of strength.

Visit Us!