View Single Post
Old 12-04-2002, 09:29 AM   #15
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
I do Agree with you Peter Rehse, but that does not mean with proper training and practice the effectiveness of pressure points could not be used.

Point of fact: Aikido is an extremely efficient means of accessing and using pressure points.

I am a tremendous fan of Aikido because it opens the world of martial arts with movements that are improperly taught in other other disciplines.

The comparitive study, and teaching methods to students does not encourage the use of pressure points in the early stages of Aikido studies, but ... this too depends on the backround of the student, depth of their studys, and degree of their maturity to find the proper use of pressure points in Aikido practice.

I believe that most of the older practitioners agree that pressure points are an interesting cross training pursuit, but should only be discussed and taught by those who can be mature in the use/ knowledge of such tools.

It really has no place in the beginning stages of training, but once the foundation of knowledge in Aikido is gained, it really does add to making the lacrosse goal posts extend the field a few more miles.