View Single Post
Old 02-15-2002, 10:30 AM   #12
Magma
Teaching vs. Learning

Fiona,
Seek your own expression in teaching, just as you do in your aikido.

From college curriculum on teaching and experience on the mats, I have found that I have done my best when I remember that it is not my job to teach anyone - it is the students' jobs to learn. For this reason, I will often say that I am "leading" the class, rather than teaching it. In fact, I doubt whether anyone can be "taught" anything. Rather, by being the example for them to look to (in attitude, demeanor, etiquette, and technique), the student "steals" the knowledge from the instructor. In fact, in my opinion, this is what sets the good student apart. Plus, this way the student makes the connection for themselves (as has been mentioned already), making the knowledge much more personal and better understood by the student.

For the other part of your question, I led an (extremely) occasional class when I was 3rd kyu. I think that this helped alleviate the pressure - having a rare class to lead ensured that I had something to say (whatever I might have been working on in my own training), and having something to say definitely helps when you are in front of the class. However, this is not the first step. The first step is believing that you have something worthwhile to say, something worthwhile for the students to learn.

Believe this and everything else will follow.

Tim
It's a sad irony: In U's satori, he forgot every technique he ever knew; since then, generations of doka have spent their whole careers trying to remember.