View Single Post
Old 10-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #122
Krystal Locke
United_States
Re: does nikyo hurt?

It isn't about techniques for me. It is movement principles, and applied physics. Not being a yoshinkan practitioner, I couldn't tell you about the specific techniques you name unless I bothered to translate them into aikikai speak. I can tell you that it is important in my line of work to let technique flow from my need to get control over the overall situation.

I look at angles and timing for entry and for neutralization. I look at natural responses to specific physical stimulus. I look at removing people's weapons by controlling range and body positions, and controlling their center without allowing my center to be controlled. I look at locking joint chains rather than getting a technique. If a technique happens, it happens. I dont care which one I use to light someone up and get them out of the door. It just has to be available, effective, and ultimately not too damaging to the person I bounce. Defensible in court.

I dont scale my training up in my job, I actually scale it way down. It usually takes very little to get an untrained person off balance and under control, and they usually have never felt the discomfort of a joint lock or comealong. Technique generally blows a bouncee up so far that they cannot listen to me and do as I ask. It is really hard for someone to stop fighting when I am reaching into their sensory system and fucking everything right up. They cant hear me telling them to stop what they're doing. If I can soften up to where they're just on the comfortable side of the line, I can persuade them to listen, and I still have room to break them down if I have to.

On the mat, I am dealing with people who can effectively resist my technique unless I do it just right, and put a lot of correctness juice into it. Maybe that's why I am an ass on the mat.

Quote:
Bill Danosky wrote: View Post
Isn't it, though? It's great having softer options that you can scale up when you need to. Back me up, here- Ude Garami rocks. Renko Ho, Ikka Jo and- believe it or not- Sokumen Irimi Nage, too. Hiji Shime, also. I could keep going, but I'll restrain my enthusiasm. Joe Thambu Sensei bounced in Australian bars for 20 years. This stuff is pretty well worked out.