View Single Post
Old 07-18-2007, 06:07 PM   #201
tiago
United Kingdom
Re: Meaning of Competitive?

Keith,
as a matter of fact, I have competed in Judo, and I have very fond memories of it. Just as I have very fond memories of my rugby years (you know rugby, it's like american football but without protection) Although I never discussed the topic with him, I am quite sure that my Judo Sensei viewed competition in Judo just as any other sport. That's ok, it's fun.

Apparently people get very frustrated when one disagrees. You are looking for my permission to compete? You have it! I just didn't know you needed it. Sorry, I would have given it much earlier. My friendly advice, though, is that you shouldn't take it too seriously. Can I force you to take my advice? No, of course not. (I thought all this was too obvious, but with these people one can never be sure)

I am not a professional athlete, and I am not interested in becoming one. So what? Do you train all day, every day? Is that what you want? To win in at K-1? go ahead, be my guest.
You know, there's only a certain age when you can do that. After some years, your reflexes are not the same and your body just can't take it. Is that what you are looking to? That I don't take it lightly, one should never take lightly what another person does to earn a living. But I think I've been lucky enough that I can earn my living in other ways, and I can take my training very seriously, but don't compete. Can I get your permission to avoid competing? I don't care, because I know well enough what sincere practice is and what it takes.

sincerely
ST