View Single Post
Old 02-13-2007, 11:03 AM   #23
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States
Re: Sport is the new Budo

Quote:
James Wilson wrote:
Ive seen many, many instances of people of a certain "rank" who have never had a fight in their lives, order around "lower grades", threaten to "put them in their place", refuse to train with people below a certain standard and be generally patronising and rude to people who dont wear a certain coloured belt.
People who refuse to train with "newbies" are missing out. They're being silly. I wouldn't let rudenes like that slide for very long if I were teaching.
Quote:
James Wilson wrote:
In boxing there is none of this.
I agree that there's a certain amount of respect on some levels, but I watch the press conferences, James. Trash talking before and after bouts is pretty common.
Quote:
James Wilson wrote:
There are no gradings and no one assumes your skill based on anything other than watching you.
Why fight so hard for the championship status?
Quote:
James Wilson wrote:
I would never have reached the level I reached was it not for an extremely patient and giving heavyweight who brought me along gently working me at just above my level even thought he could have easily beaten me with one punch.
My sensei sounds a lot like this guy you're describing...
Quote:
James Wilson wrote:
Compare this attitude to a post I read on here the other day that stated "Why on earth would a sandan train with an orange belt?".
To help them get better. To observe their mannerisms, and acknowledge that I used to be just the same as they. To train with them for months and years until the day comes that they easily toss me on my butt.
Quote:
James Wilson wrote:
"Whod win in a fight, a boxer or an aikidoka?". Whilst the answer, of course, depends on a billion variables I always favour the boxer and the reason is simply because of the way they approach their training and their attitude.
Who'd be better at dealing with an angry twelve year old that decides he's gonna attack Mom because he can't get his way while simultaneously looking out for Grandma, who's off of her meds and has decided to enter the fray? I'll favor the aikidoka.

There are some really good dojo out there. Don't give up on aikidoka just yet. I study at an independent dojo. My rank doesn't mean anything to anyone, except for me and my sensei. I'm in it for the skill, the fun, and the friendship too.

Take care in that ring!

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida