View Single Post
Old 10-22-2004, 03:32 PM   #13
Diarmuid66
Dojo: Shodokan London
United Kingdom
Re: How should I handle this?

Quote:
Hanna Björk wrote:
Diarmuid66, Mary is in the Ki-aikido lineage of aikido and they do usually not breadfall at all. There would be numeraous ways to throw an uke so s/he can not land safely; we all adapt our way of performing technique to the ways in which our uke has learned to land. All the time. Some lineages has larger ukemi repertoir, others smaller...
Hanna; I recognise that there are an enormous range of "ways" and that "my Aikido" does not have to be "your Aikido" but I feel it is fundamental to any "do" that what uke does once they have initiated the attack is not up to them! otherwise it is just too choreographed....in my lessons I try to make my students train with fluidity and lightness and of course to train safely but uke is not DOING AIKIDO..uke is initiating the attack..yes at the lower levels of practice it is possible to learn something by just taking uke to the point of balance break, but tori will not "know" technique with an uke who is "deciding " to breakfall or not! The test is to perform technique with an uke who is determined not only not to breakfall but to perform a counter technique on tori! Being a little bit of a devils advocate here and I know not all of you will agree! I would also point out that in my humble opinion the only thing less instructive and useful than an aikido technique that does not break balance and require uke to breakfall is an aikido technique that does not break balance but uke still does a huge ukemi!! Please take this the right way everyone but basically Aikido is about falling over!!!