Thread: Masters
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2002, 06:21 AM   #11
Kami
Dojo: ShinToKai DoJo of AiKiDo
Cool Re: Masters

Quote:
John Riggs wrote:
When does one become a master? 6th dan, 5th dan, when awarded shihan status. I see a lot of confusing references to masters-e.g., 7th dan in one art, 5th dan in aikido. Aikido dojocho refers to as a master. I also see some setting up their own organization and becoming the master. It was my impression, that master was a title conveyed by the awarding of shihan-no matter what rank you hold. There are also master instructors for an organization vs. the aiki-kai. That is, you may be the master instructor or shihan for an organization but that does not mean you are recognized as a master instructor by the aikikai hombu dojo.

Anyone clarify this?
KAMI : There is a great confusion on the meaning of Shihan. Originally, SHIHAN was a term of respect for someone who was a remarkable master teacher. It wasn't given by an organization but by his students.

Later the Aikikai (but not every style of Aikido) created some titles for teaching certification (based on older formats) - FUKUSHIDOIN, SHIDOIN AND SHIHAN - concerned, not explicitly about "master teachers", but about levels of certification. It was never systematized by the Aikikai, so all the confusion ("when is one a shihan", "when are you a master", etc...). Each style, group or organization has its own criteria. And, it's important to remember, the Aikikai Hombu Dojo is not the DEFINITIVE organization. The Yoshinkai, the Shodokan, the Ki-Aikido, each has their own independent Hombu and do not follow Aikikai's injunctions.

Also, dan rankings ("when you get a 6th dan, you're a Shihan!")have nothing to do with teaching certifications.

And finally, mastery, considered as a personal achievement, depends entirely on the individual and on the people who consider him to be a Shihan. That's all.

IMO

Last edited by Kami : 07-30-2002 at 06:24 AM.

"We are all teachers, and what we teach is what we need to learn, and so we teach it over and over again until we learn it".
Unknown author

Ubaldo Alcantara