View Single Post
Old 03-15-2005, 10:20 PM   #17
eyrie

Australia
Re: Article - PCS Conditioning in Budo

Quote:
Right! Now this is where I have the question. To me, part of Aiki waza and Aiki training (including the methods of dealing with PCS I may have learnt as a result, which I don't really call a "spiritual" part of the training either) is about dealing with a dangerous situation at the point of initiation if not before (Sen??). The situation here is serious imminent danger and it's possible accompanying adrenaline dump.
I don't know if I can explain it any better. The concept of the "every minute Zen-mind" is an integral part of budo/bujutsu training. It is the difference between kill or be killed.

Quote:
Take a look at the video on the Prison Guard Attack thread for example and tell me where exactly this "ten count and calming of self" actually begins. I believe what you are saying does work, it's just that I wonder how it works using the method you propose where there is simply no time to do what you are recommending to calm oneself before the first strike lands.
I was referring to the principle of the 10 count, certainly not advocating the use of it, in such a situation.

Quote:
I personally do not like the use of strong emotion to trigger other responses too much, I've found it can have some serious psychological side effects and create a post scenario trauma of its own.
For the exact same reasons I question its use.

Quote:
...but many who do a short course to learn how to quickly defend themself may not have that sort of time to dedicate to such an endeavour, hence the pressure training approach that helps desensitise the individual to the effects of PCS.
I agree, PCS has its place, in crash-course self-defense, yes... but to desensitize...no, I can't agree on that. To me, MA is a feeling thing. The inherent dangers in emotional desensitization, is similar to the desensitizing issue of violence on TV.

Quote:
Teaching this on the other hand has been an entirely different story for me and many.
I don't think it's possible to "teach" this. It's way too "Zen"...
I would be interested to hear how you approach this from a teaching perspective though...

Quote:
True, but to transcend the more primordial forms of behaviour (would not use the term good or bad per se) takes a lot of training(mainly mental) that many are not willing to undergo or dedicate the time to. This is why the PCS methods have been able to help those who may not be able to even grasp some of the concepts required for the level of operation that you are referring to....And this is why I advocate both methods.
Fair enough...however, I think progressively increasing the intensity and speed of attack is just as effective a means for the subject to deal with escalating levels of violence. I'm for a graduated progression, rather than a instantaneous PCS dump.

Quote:
...I think it may be best to understand a number of different ways to deal with PCS. This way, depending on the fom the trigger takes, we will have a few options of dealing with the dump in the most effective way possible for our own psychologies and physiologies.
I can understand where you're coming from. Recognizing and understanding PCS can be useful, but I still don't think it is appropriate for everyone, except the class of people you mentioned previously.

If you have ever boxed (with gloves on of course!), you'll know that it's a good way to experience and learn about PCS...

Personally, I wouldn't use boxing as a training tool, but I think it would be beneficial for people to put on a bullet-man suit and try it at least once.

Ignatius