Thread: kamae problem
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2011, 03:33 AM   #25
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom
Re: kamae problem

Quote:
Robin Boyd wrote: View Post
Thanks for the pointers Chris. I am still figuring out exactly what I'm meant to be doing. I just know that there have been a number of instances (such as the ones you described) where I have had my footwork corrected. This has been particularly pronounced whenever I have been holding a sword. Having said that, my weapons work is particularly rusty because I spent the last 4 years training with a student of Masatake Fujita who was famously quoted as saying "weapons practice is not part of Aikido". My sensei didn't necessarily agree with this statement, but he simply didn't teach weapons because he had never been taught.
Dear Robin,
Having met Fujita Sensei I have never seen him teaching weapons.However his statement seem to be at odds with the fact that O Sensei/Saito Sensei/Tamura Sensei /Chiba Sensei /Nishio Sensei and others trained and taught weapons.This is quite clear from all the various sources[Dvds , You tube etc] where Aikido weapons are shown.Is there an authentic verifiable source whereby Fujita Senseis comments can be authenticated?
Cheers, Joe.