View Single Post
Old 12-25-2013, 10:18 AM   #65
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: Musings on a Hawaii IP Seminar

Quote:
Lee Salzman wrote: View Post
Kevin, but that is exactly my point! The tree example is a way to feel the quality in a pure form, but this quality is expressed in free-form movement. I am in a judo dojo, week in week out, practicing this stuff, in randori. I am not making up hypothetical strawmen, I am describing what I practice, in a dynamic, non-compliant environment.

And it is exactly that IP quality that lets me gradually focus less on how to counter their movements to get kuzushi on me, and I can focus more on just my own entries. It changes the dynamic so they react to me more, and I spend less time reacting to them. Their counters to what I do are also less and less effective, because they're still stuck trying to figure out how to break down my IP structure via timing and speed, trying to find windows of opportunity, when gradually, these are becoming less and less effective against me the better I become at maintaining IP under stress and I am slowly erasing these windows of opportunity they might have had so that, in the limit, they will be nigh impossible to find.

I am just trying to convey to you why it is cool and interesting as a way of augmenting the ordinary power of the body so that you can, in fact, go back to a non-compliant environment. It's not much different than me claiming that endurance training has helped me be less gased out when doing long sessions of randori or that strength training might have helped me better deal with the strength of stronger opponents. Please don't take what I'm saying as argumentative, it is not meant to be - just presenting what I have learned.
Thanks Lee, this conversation is heading in the direction that I wanted to explore and I appreciate it. Maybe in the future we can have this conversation offline. I see no value in continuing this here on Aikiweb. I do appreciate it!