Old 02-04-2005, 10:40 PM   #8
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia
Re: Shime-waza in Aikido?

Quote:
Phillip Kirkan wrote:
...<snip>...
What is the reason for excluding shime-waza from aikido? Even if the use of chokes goes against the "defensive" mindset, I don't understand why aikido would neglect defending against chokes.
You are right... in my dojo syllabus, shime waza is completely excluded. Nonetheless, nothing to stop us boyz from experimenting with other arts' armamentarium.

Please allow me to speculate on the reasons why shimewaza is decidely excluded from aikido.

Reason 1:
Aikido is derived from weapon art. There are pugilist and there are swordsman and aikido is the physical expression of a swordman without sword. I guess when you have weapon in hand, the need for chokes is rendered redundant.

Reason 2
There are a myriad of MA out there in the world and the founder or practitioner inadvertently decide to specialize. If there is such thing as complete art, then it will take us mortal many lives to learn. IMO, aikido founder took what he deem work for him and formulated aikido. Aikido focuses on timing, focused power, blending, avoidance. BJJer decided to focus on ground fighting, grappling/kantetsu and choke/shimewaza. Judo, karate each have their area of specialization.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.