View Single Post
Old 08-26-2014, 04:29 PM   #12
Robert Cowham
Dojo: East Sheen Aikido and Kashima No Tachi
Re: How essential is timing, and how do you develop it?

I agree with Keith on the sensitivity thing - subtle awareness. I love the videos of Mifune (10th dan Judo).

But there's also a balance thing - the body being totally balanced and able to move without any unnecessary stuff. Classic thing is in kenjutsu, where if you want to move to the left, people generally start by putting their front foot to the right of the center line. Can be quite effective, but it isn't half as good as the ability just to move left - which is pretty challenging as I know well. Simiarlaly if you have right foot forward in hanmi stance, can you easily step with a) front foot (usually easiest), b) back foot, c) step out to left with back foot and switch front foot so it becomes back foot. All at the same time as making in appropriate strike with sword. This is balance and weight distribution and re-understanding what these things mean.

There is something in terms of speed of movement too, for example with weapons. And yet with someone like Inaba sensei, it doesn't seem that he moves fast, but it is perfectly balanced and with just the right timing. Part of this is the sensation that he has already connected to you before either of you have moved - he seems to know what you are doing before you do.