View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #17
JP3

Dojo: Wasabi Dojo
United_States
Re: Atemi, Tae Kwon Do and Aikido

I believe Janet is correct. Trying to train multiple arts at one time ends up hindering the learning of all of them. While learning aikido, just do aikido. Get the reps in, and once those reps (I'm speaking of the 10K reps) have burned the muscle memory pathways into the subconscious, then adding the next set hurts nothing.

On this issue, the reason things work ... well this is my opinion and some others who have done it this way, opinions may vary ... is that the kick-punch arts have a faster learning curve than the grappling arts (of which aikido is one as it generally requires 2 partners to truly practice aikido). For the kick-punch, if the standard assumption is that it takes 10,000 reps of a physical task to master the task and make it automatic, unconscious, and the same each time without thinking about it... think how much faster it is to do 10,000 reverse punches than, say, 10,00 reps of iriminage?

Stay the course, work the aikido. Once you are actually doing things and have to stop and go, "Wait... what just happened?" Then you can do a little split timing.

I find it interesting that the kanji character for kuzushi illustrates a mountain falling on a house.